Friday, July 11, 2008

Book review

I’ve set myself a goal for the next year to read as many books by LDS authors as I can. I started off with Tristi Pinkston’s book Nothing to Regret because I’m thinking of doing something myself concerning one of the World War II Japanese relocation centers. Here is my review of the book:

Tristi Pinkston knows how to get a story started and keep it rolling. She begins her book Nothing to Regret with the bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese on December 7, 1941. Ken Sugihara, her protagonist, has been happily attending Berkeley, but the events of that day totally change his life. He is Nisei, an American of Japanese ancestry. Much to his consternation, he and all other people of Japanese ancestry on the west coast are suddenly outcasts, looked upon with suspicion and suspected of spying. Almost before they realize what’s happening, they are interned in various “relocation centers” throughout the west. Ken and his family are sent to Topaz, Utah, where they are virtually prisoners.

Life is monotonous in the camp, so when Ken, who speaks fluent Japanese, has the opportunity to go on a very dangerous mission as a American spy in the heart of Japan, he accepts, knowing that serving his country in this way is fully as dangerous as being in the front lines of the war. Thus begins a saga which the author keeps moving at a fast pace until the surprising ending.

The author sustains reader interest throughout the book through unexpected twists and turns. She has done her research well so that it has the feel of authenticity. I recommend this book for all World War II buffs as well as those who just simply like a good story.

Review by Lael Littke

3 comments:

Katie Parker said...

I think Tristi will kill me if I say that I haven't read this yet, but...this review reminds me that I really want to read this book!!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Yes, Katie, I am going to kill you. Consider yourself warned.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

That about sums it up. Wonderful book. Wonderful review. Wonderful world!